Board of Directors:
Monroe Community Credit Union is a critical part of the communities we serve. As a not-for-profit financial institution, our day job is to provide exceptional banking services to each and every member of our credit union, but our real passion is to make an impact in the lives of each and every member of our community. Together with our employees, volunteers, and members, we don’t just serve the community, we are the community.
We are a locally owned and operated financial institution. We have protected the finances of residents and employees in Michigan since 1953, and our long history has established us as a trusted financial institution and advisor to our members.
Formed in December of 1953, what exists today was originally the Consolidated Paper Credit Union (CPCU). The credit union experienced a great deal of growth over the years, which resulted in the community charter that exists now. The most significant growth came through mergers with several other credit unions to establish what is now known as Monroe Community Credit Union. These other credit unions include: River Raisin Employees Credit Union, Maeco Employees Federal Credit Union, Monroe Paper Products Credit Union, Monroe Affiliated Locals Credit Union, Monroe Municipalities Employee Credit Union, Monroe Area Federal Credit Union, St. Patrick Carleton Federal Credit Union, and River Rouge Municipal Credit Union. Through these mergers, members from these smaller credit unions were able to access a vast array of services previously unavailable to them.
The first changes to CPCU took place in the 1970’s.The credit union purchased the building at 14 Winchester Street and transformed it into a full-service financial institution, complete with teller windows and the credit union’s first Automated Teller Machine. The old Biltmore Restaurant located at 414 Telegraph Road was also purchased and completely renovated by the credit union to accommodate the rapidly expanding membership. This branch was later replaced by the current Main Office location at 715 North Telegraph road in 1998. CPCU had its name and charter officially changed in October 1982 by the State of Michigan to Monroe County Community Credit Union.
As the credit union blossomed, a third branch became necessary to keep up with member demand. The 3,000 square foot branch located at 7408 Lewis Avenue in Temperance was opened for business in 1990 to serve South County members. In 2008, a fourth branch was completed and opened for business at 5044 North Dixie Highway in Newport and in July of 2019, a fifth branch located at 9040 Raisin Street in Maybee opened its doors. Through the addition of these branches, MCCU can provide convenience to members of Monroe County no matter what area of the county they call home.
As of 2014, MCCU is authorized to offer the benefits of credit union membership to people living outside of Monroe County. The MCCU field of membership has since expanded to include those who live, work, or worship in the following counties: Monroe, Lenawee, Washtenaw, Wayne, Oakland, Livingston, Macomb, Ingham, Jackson, and Hillsdale. In March of 2021, the business name changed from Monroe County Community Credit Union to Monroe Community Credit Union, putting the focus of our business where we want to make the largest impact: our community!